Saturday, June 18, 2022

Swing and a Miss

Yesterday I made a card. I sent it with my husband to give to his dad at a party last night. I stayed home with two of my kids who have been sick, and I’ve been under the weather myself. The card just didn’t come out the way I envisioned, but I gave it anyway.

I think part of the problem is that I tried to follow the 10-minute time limit from the As You See It challenge. 



The theme was Fast but Slow. It was a belated birthday card, and I had envisioned a little “by the seashore” theme with a turtle and a fence. The colors I had to work with, from Color My Heart, lent themselves to a sunset sky - coral and lavender with some green and grey and beige. I used the fence die from Your Next Stamp to be eligible to win their seashore challenge.



So once I had my idea and all the materials gathered, I set the timer for 10 minutes, but I didn’t finish before the timer rang! After about 15 minutes, it looked like this:





And my craft area had exploded. I knew I needed to color my images, and I thought it needed some blue water, so I worked a little longer, and it ended up like this:


I forgot to take a picture of the inside, but it says, “I’m just extending the celebration!” And “Happy Belated Birthday.” My father-in-law had his birthday last Friday, but we haven’t seen him, so I sent him this card last night. I think he liked it, even if it’s not one I’m completely satisfied with. Oh well, they can’t all be stunners at suppose!

Materials used:

Cardstock: Grey Wool, Desert Sand, Garden Green, Petal, Taffy, Lilac Mist, White Daisy

Stamps: Pun Fun, Card Chatter - Birthday, Perfect Day, Birthday Boy

Ink: Intense Black

Other: Watercolor Pencils, Fence die (YNS)



12 comments:

  1. Lol, sounds like you really gave the speed challenge a good try! I always have a hard time editing myself on these! I love the scene you created! Thanks for playing at As You See It!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you for giving the speed challenge a try. You did the sensible thing by letting your instinct guide you to making it more like what you wanted. It's a sweet scene. Thanks for playing with us at As You See It.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colors chosen for your pretty seaside scenery. Thanks for sharing with us at Color Dare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is cute - I like the scene you created. Thanks for sharing with us at Colour Dare :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't be sorry hard on yourself. It's a cute card! Love your little scene and how you used our colors. Thanks for sharing at Color Dare.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interpretation of the inspiration board. Cute card. Love the turtle with the party hat. Thanks for sharing at Color Dare

    ReplyDelete
  7. That first time you try a speed stamping challenge is always an eye-opener! It was for me, too! I love the scene you created and the idea of the sentiment, of extending the celebration! That's what we always tell each other in our family when the card or gift gets there late! Thanks for getting your adrenaline pumping with us at As You See It Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you created a lovely card and the sentiment is perfect! Yes, the speed challenge is a tricky one - bravo for rising to the challenge. It's like most things - it gets easier the more you practice, so I hope you'll join us the next time we have one too. Thanks for joining us over at As You See It this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, too bad you didn't make the time limit, but it's still a cute little card!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think I could create something within 10 minutes. Your card is great and I love how you used the colors for inspiration. Thank you for playing along at Color Dare.

    ReplyDelete
  11. it is pretty. thank you for playing with color dare challenge
    dt, Asha

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad you gave the speed challenge a try! It is way harder than it looks! I think this is quite the lovely try and I hope you give us another chance with our next speed challenge! Thanks for playing along with us at As You See It!

    ReplyDelete